So, after my comment yesterday about not being 'done' this pregnancy - I read a blog I've been following. This family lost a little boy the same day we had Brennan and then were due again 2 days before us. She's had some complications during her pregnancy and just gave birth last night to a healthy baby girl (at 36 weeks)! So.....that made me REALLY want our baby in my arms. Then the day before yesterday I was feeling extra energetic and did a whole hour of pretty intense exercise (which I haven't been used to for a year or two) - and apparently my body couldn't handle it. So last night I was *done* :) 
Yesterday (because I was pretty sore and slow moving) I did pretty much nothing productive. Bear minimum anyways. So since I was in the lazy frame of mind I took some funky belly shots. I did a neat one when I was pregnant with Brennan at about this time so I thought I would do the same.
Last night I was doing a bit of reading on natural childbirth and relaxation techniques. Question for all you 'natural' girls out there: what are you tips and the things that got you through?I had morphine and fentanyl last time but want to try nothing this time. And I was induced with Brennan so this could be a whole different ball game. Just want to be the most prepared I can be. I'm not scared or fearful of the pain so I think going into it already semi-relaxed will help.
10 comments:
I agree with the low moaning. I have never really had a chance to relax in labor because they were 1.5 hours and 20 mins but as a doula I can say I've seen women really be helped by dim lights and a quiet environment. Then you can focus on really relaxing every muscle in your body. www.birthingnaturally.net is good if you want to watch some crazy cool natural births too.
Hey Jen
I guess I'm one of the natural childbirth people on here since I didn't have any pain medicine with any of mine although, I'm not sure I have an answer as to how I did it. I guess I just kept thinking that if it got worse, I would take something. It always got worse but just not enough to take anything. I wish I had an answer for you on this but for me, I just kept on going till it was over.
I know you'll do just fine and always remember it's good to do it naturally but if it gets really bad, there is always something to take if you need it.
I had an epidural with our first two, but went natural (by choice) with our third and if I had to do it again, I'd do it natural! I felt so much more in control of the whole situation, even though it hurt horribly (and my labor was about 10 hours long). Garth is an awesome labor coach and that is what helped me more than anything. He helped me try to relax and stay calm. My nurse was also very encouraging with my choice of going natural and helped me get into the best positions to help the baby come as quickly as possible (making my contractions more productive). I hope it goes quickly for you...we'll be excitedly awaiting those sweet baby pictures!
I went natural for both my boys and will do it again. (Although I'm petrified!) I didn't read all the other comments, but would add that from my understanding, the more drugs that are introduced, the more complicated the labour can become. Your body is so very good at telling you when the contraction is coming, that's when you need to do the real hard work. Using too much meds makes you rely on the nurses to tell you when you're having a contraction. (Okay, just read Becky's.) I agree that you have so much more control with "natural". It's hard enough to do what they're telling you with no drugs, I can't imagine doing it when I couldn't respond to the pain. Know what I mean? Ya, it hurts, a lot, but I really think it makes it easier/shorter/safer because you can totally follow your body's cues. And the panting thing, too. I don't understand when my Dr. told me to "pant my baby out". She just meant to do little short pushes right at the crowning.
That said, if the labour goes on and on with little progress, drugs can help give you a rest and just get it over with before you get too exhausted.
Maybe more of this is related to epidurals, not sure if the other drugs are as effective. Maybe they just take off the edge, which can be a relief. I've heard a few stories of women receiving Morphine during labour. That's kind of scary. I heard of one who was given moprhine and SENT HOME, then had to call an ambulance because she was ready to push and didn't even feel the contractions coming! Yikes.
You can totally do it! And you'll be so stinkin' proud of yourself for persevering!
I haven't read it yet, but Kelly recommended I read "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth". She's a well respected midwife. See if your local library has it. Even after doing this twice already, I want to read it.
you also don't me. I went to Prairie the year after you left. But, I made friends with a lot of your old friends (and am now related to Katherine (Miller) Woodbeck through our husbands. Anyhow, I just had a baby last week and had him at home. It's my third baby and first time going totally natural. The biggest thing that got me through the contractions was focus. If there was a time where I thought I couldn't do it anymore, that's when it seemed unbearable. But each contraction I just tried to focus on the fact that it was one contraction less that I would have to endure before my baby was in my arms (relaxing your whole body through contractions really helps as well). I also read something that had a cycle based analogy to relaxation and it said that pain leads to fear which leads to tensing your body which leads to more pain and the cycle goes on and on. So relaxing is pretty important.
Dana Fiorito
couldn't agree more. low moaning (or 'horse lips' - keeping your lips loose and blowing through them to keep the sound low) really helps. When you need to breath through a contraction, find the breathing pattern that helps you focus on breathing quick, short breaths. for some, it's panting - for me, it was breathing like I would if I were sprinting. Visualization helps too - some visualize the pelvis/cervix opening, for me, while breathing through the contractions (because that was the hardest part for me), I pictured running on a beach. LIke I was sprinting and was just about done. worked for every contraction.
LIke Rachel said, I highly recommend "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth." It was very encouraging to read other people's natural child birth stories. I never felt so confident that I could do it naturally after reading their stories.
REMEMBER: God designed your body to give birth - your body knows what its doing. Masking the pain with drugs can bring uncertainty, fear and doubt as to what to do. I really believe that!
I also agree with the recommendation for a doula. I know in BC they are expensive (not sure what the details are in AB), but even if you can get one who is training (ours was training to become a midwife), you can usually get their services for cheap/free. they are SO helpful, but in no way take the place of your husband.
Anyway, I hope that helps.
And yes, natural childbirth HURTS, but is SO rewarding to accomplish it.
you'll do great, Jen :)
I had all 3 of my children naturally (the last one at home). Being relaxing between contractions is a big key and then focus and breathing through the contractions. One thing nice about contractions is the break you get between them! Of course my labours were all quite short, so that helped. If labour goes on and on for hours, then don't feel like you have failed if you need some relief! Best wishes!
P.S. Nice job with the pictures!
I Jen,
I'm a friend of Paige's and Stephanie's and read so much about you and follow your blog so I almost feel like I know you...lol
I think it's awesome you're interested in Natural birth!! I didn't have any pain medication until my dr. decided I was taking too long to push the baby out on my back (well duh, that's the worst possible position to birth a baby as it pushes your tailbone in and makes the canal smaller!" anyhow, my dr. gave me a nerve block so I wouldn't feel the 3rd degree episiotomy to accomodate the forceps...too bad the nerve block wore off before the stitches were done...hehe.
anyhow, to help the cervix and to release natural pain control endorphines, nice deeep kissing is awesome between contractions cause it relaxes your mouth which relaxes the cervix...it's amazing the relationship between the cervix and mouth! You'll know what I mean if you've ever used garlic to treat a yeast infection!! hehe
my biggest tip is to follow your instincts and don't let anyone tell you not to...your body knows how to birth this baby!
Blessings to you!!
With G, I didn't have any drugs because there was no time. (Just over 3 hours from start to finish, and he was my first!) But I did have time to go into the warm bath at the hospital. I don't know if I would contemplate a water-delivery, but I would definitely recommend the bath during labour. The low moaning and controlled breathing also helped me a lot.
With Tabitha, I did have an epidural because I didn't know if induced labour would take longer than spontaneous labour, and we really wanted to spend the time before she was born with our families.
I hope that these next few weeks pass by peacefully for you!
Post a Comment