Tomorrow we are headed out for a 3 day getaway. I'm not sure if many people would classify a farming convention a 'getaway' but we do. A sort of fancy hotel, a few meals in nice restaurants and good shopping does it for me
So today is laundry, packing and cleaning the house day.
Then tomorrow we're off! Woohoo!
And here is a question for all you moms out there.
Kellan has a favorite puppy that he sleeps with (Cara it's the one you gave him!)
I don't mind that he had a security teddy but I do mind that he throws it out of his crib when he's going to bed then cries until we go in and give it back to him. Then repeat, repeat, repeat....
Suggestions?
I'm letting him cry for a little bit right now so we'll see if that works.
7 comments:
Hmmm... We had a similar problem at night when Z was about 5-6 months. All of a sudden he started waking at night and crying for his soother. Because he wasn't coordinated to find it himself and put it back in his mouth, we would end up in his room (for literally seconds) several times a night to 'plug' him. We ended up weening him completely from the soother in one very long night. Now, Z has a monkey, but (for the most part) he usually stays in the crib with Z.
Do you think that K is developmentally mature enough that he is throwing puppy out to manipulate you? ("If I throw this out and cry really loud, I *know* Mommy will have to come back in...") Or do you think that he is throwing the puppy out without realizing that the consequence will be that puppy is no longer be in the crib with him? Is there a way you could safely use those plastic link things to hook puppy to one of the bars? I am a real big fan of security teddies, blanket, etc. so I hope that there is a way you can stop him from holding you hostage, while keeping puppy special!
Good luck! Enjoy your getaway!
I'm pretty sure he's throwing it to get attention and for us to come back in.
We kinda made it a game for few nights - he would throw it out then look around for it and we would hide it....
So it's mostly our fault :S
For the most part he only does it once or twice but last night and today's afternoon nap it was numerous times.
Hmmm, I wouldn't let him win this one. Once he throws it out once, that's it...until next time he goes to sleep. I'm a "tough love" mama, though, so you might be softer than me. ;-) BUT...that's what I would do. I always say "You've got to pick your battles" and this is a big one!
Lauren does that with her blankie to get me to come back in as well. She only does it if she wakes up in the middle of her afternoon nap, and sometimes at night right after I put her down.
I would agree with Becky...don't give it back. (I need to start doing that with Lauren.) :)
Oh, I like the links idea... the hitch is that you need to probably hook the links probably to the BOTTOM rail of the side rail instead of one of the vertical slats... otherwise he'll just lift it up and flip it out of his crib anyway. That being said, I wonder if it would be a strangulation hazard to have the links in there if you make the line of links too long? And - LOL! - where would you hook the link around the teddy? His neck? Poor Teddy!!! :)
You do need to stop the game sooner rather than later, though, for your own sanity. As parents, we tend do do things with/for our kids 'cuz it's cute, but then we get ourselves into trouble... rest assured that with your next baby, you'll be wiser before the game even starts. :) Tough love... yup.
I haven't said anything these other mamas haven't said yet, though... I guess I'm not being that creative. :)
Good luck with that - and ENJOY your little getaway!
My kids did this as well but with there soothers. I would get it for them once (just in case it wasnt on purpose, though it most likely was) and that was it, they would have to cry it out. Dont worry, if you are consistent with this it probably wont last long (although it feels like it;). I love that he loves the puppy! Do you use the heat bag with it?
A puppy with a heating bag? Seriously, what is Kellan thinking, tossing something so wonderful??
Post a Comment