December 19, 2010

On marriage

Sometimes it's so easy. Loving my best friend is effortless at times. Other times, it takes a little more work then others. A little push to communicate more and a gentle shove to think of his needs/wants before mine.
But for some reason, marriage just works for us. We've had our rough patches that's for sure and I'm pretty sure there will be more, but we take those lessons learned and work with them positively, not dwelling on them negatively.
I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to marriage too. I like to welcome my husband home with a smile and a (hopefully tasty) hot meal. Thankfully he looks past the spit-up on shirts and burnt casseroles...
Some women would get their 'panties in a knot' over how I accept (and enjoy) this old skool approach to the role of wife/mother.
I believe in making home a haven for my husband (and family) and being that submissive wife - even if it is frowned upon these days.

I guess that's why I sometimes cringe when I see women driving the family vehicle, while the husband sits in the passenger seat. Marriage (to me) is kinda like driving. The husband in the drivers seat with the wife holding the map, pointing out signs he may have missed, holding the steering wheel while he takes his coat off, yelling (as nicely as possible) when they should slow down or to be careful on the slippery roads....y'know, like letting the husband be the head of the house and as the wife coming along side him, gently nudging him in the right direction, filling in those areas where he lacks or taking the reins when needed but ultimately letting the husband be 'the man'.

On the other hand, I do have a 'career' and a VERY supportive husband in that aspect, but that's a whole 'nother post.

Marriage is so diverse and everyone brings something different to the table, but for us, whatever we are doing it's sure working!

5 comments:

Alisdair said...

I, too, would prefer the man in the driver's seat.I always considered it the man's job and then I met John. John is a semi driver and logs many many hours on the road in a week... and so he protests (most of the time) when we are going somewhere as he wants to relax and not have to take the wheel... I felt a bit nervous at first but I have slowly come to believe and understand why he is okay with me driving... and if we go to the city with lots of traffic (or it is late at night or something) he will drive but that's our situation... or my poor old Mother has to drive everywhere as Dad lost his licence due to poor eyesight from diabetes... so sometimes there are reasons for the woman driving the man around!

Paige's cousin, Denise in Saskatchewan

paige said...

heehee - 's all a matter of perspective for sure, denise!
Some of my views have changed over the course of my (delicious) marriage... but it's neat to take a look at how we do things - & why it's working (or why it's not).
i was just saying the other day how much i love marriage too - such a fun, good thing.

Leah said...

Good post, Jen! :-)

Lola said...

It's been a crazy ride for Mark and I. But a good crazy ride. Mostly because I'm a naturally assertive outgoing person and he's so incredibly laid back and easy going. It's still possible to be submissive when you are like we are but it takes more prayer... on my part :)

kelly ens said...

agreed!!! (Although I must say, I drive when he's drinking his mate, since it's a 2-handed job and he (I) prefers that he does the pouring of the water :)