March 22, 2012

Before & After - living room

Ahh, the living room.  I am so excited that we are (mostly) done this room!!  It was kind of a sore spot for a while, but at long last (k, maybe not so long, but long enough for us) it's cozy, cheery and a place we love to sit!

Before:

 

 
 Wait for it.........














After!
One of the first things I did when we moved in was whitewash the fireplace.
Brian's brother works downtown Vancouver restoring/renovating old buildings and he found this old beam for us that Brian stained and made into the mantle.  I looooove it!

That wall was the headache wall.  It had painted wallpaper that I promptly ripped down, then realized why they had it wallpapered.  A terrible drywall job with pitting, dents scars.... So plan B was to wallpaper it.  We found a fun pattern/color that we both liked so I went to order it but just about threw up when they told me it was going to be $800 for the 2 walls (one wall in the dining room too).  We thought a bit more a decided that plan C was to cover it with flat wallpaper then just paint it....but after we did that we realized you could still see all the imperfections.  Plan D finally worked where we bought thick texturizing paint.  It's not perfect but 100% better than it was!
(Just that one wall is blue, the rest are a sandy color)


(A sneak peak into the unfinished but painted dining room)


6 comments:

Carol said...

Great transformation! So much brighter and lighter!

kelly ens said...

LOVE it - every part of it (especially the mantle!!!!). and um, your furniture is way nicer than theirs ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice transformation! I hope that you have anchored your bookshelf onto the wall. I'd hate for one of your children to have it come down on top of them.

Garth and Becky said...

Beautiful job! It's so light and refreshing in comparison to what it was.

Leah said...

Awesome! Love the whitewashed fireplace. It all looks so bright, cleaned up, and updated. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Love your nice looking living room