November 13, 2015

Amity Sage

Before she grows up and leaves the house, I thought I should write down her birth story!  I have it all scrawled in my pregnancy journal so I'm not having to remember it from scratch!

Sweet little Amity (another girl!) joined us June 23rd, 2014 at 3:30 pm.
  8 lbs 11 oz!



Early that morning (4 am) I started feeling some low & deep, sharp cramps.  They picked up throughout the morning and around 8:30 I had to decided if Brian needed to stay closer to home with his work truck.  I called in time for him to be able to change his dispatch a bit so he was able to stay within a 2 hour radius (instead of 6).  I was feeling super nesty!  I did all the laundry and washed our bedding.  I organized a few things that needed some attention....y'know important things like the top of the fridge, the toy boxes....  I realized things were really starting to pick up around 10.  I thought I better start to focus more on making sure my hospital bag was packed and I jumped in the shower too.  I texted Brian to tell him he didn't have time for a full load so he just loaded his truck and came home.  (At this time I thought babe would come around early evening...)
Contractions were getting hard.  Some I had to breathe through and they were coming every 2 - 2.5 mintues and lasting 45-60 seconds.  I wasn't getting many breaks and things were starting to feel rushed.  Brian got home and he took the kids to aunties house while I tried to collect the things we needed but ended up spending most of my time leaning over the couch or counter breathing through contractions.  Brian got back and helped me get stuff together then my water broke at 1:05.  I ran upstairs to get changed and noticed that the fluid was dark yellow.  We jumped in the truck and thankfully the contractions relaxed for a bit and I was able to have a breather.  We got to the hospital around 1:20 and our (fill-in) midwife met us there a few minutes later.


Brian started the tub and I got in after she checked us over.  The water was nice - felt like it took the edge off a bit.  The labour felt a bit different at that point - usually when I have my water broken thats when things kick into high gear, but this time, with my water breaking on it's own, it seemed to have calmed things a bit.  The breaks were strangely peaceful and virtually pain-free (almost awkwardly so).  At 2:00 the midwife checked me and I was at 7 - which was my guess. 


 She was a bit hesitant about doing a water birth since it looked like my water had mec in it.  I kept labouring in the tub and the contractions were getting pretty bad so I moved to the bed and got on all fours.  I had a few contractions there and was ready to push.  The breaks were laughable and we were having conversations and joking in between contractions.  Finally I started pushing and after 3 pushed her head came out.....and then I knew she was BIG!  Her shoulders gave me a rough time and had to push super hard.  Then at 3:30 she was here!
She pinked up and cried right away.  I held her and when it was time to cut the cord, Brian being the seasoned one that he is shrugged it off, so I got too! :)


She looked just like Sloan! - except not quite as yellow/fair and she had the chubbiest cheeks!
The pediatrician came to check her over because of having mec in my water, but she was perfectly healthy.
I got all cleaned up, started to nurse her and she did pretty good.  After we were all settled again the midwife asked if we wanted to go home and we said 'yes'!  She made us stay 4 hours just to watch us -lame....but Auntie brought the kids by to meet their littlest sister!  Everyone was super hyper and it was a bit overwhelming so we were quite thankful they were spending the night with their cousins.
Just after 8 we went home and we enjoyed a nice quiet evening just the 3 of us.  Almost felt like a date! ;)

Amity has settled so perfectly in our family and keeps us hopping now that she is just about a year and a half old!  Sweetie!



No comments: