Brian called last night, this is his story:
Tuesday evening he was driving into the town nearby where they are working and was hit by a huge storm - 60m/hr wind, rain, hail - the works! He quickly called the guys back at the airport and told them about this crazy storm so they could run out and tie down the planes, etc... Well, one plane was tied down, the other plane was bigger/heavier then ours so then ran to save our airplane. Just in time!!! The winds hit (and everything else)! There was 4 guys holding down our plane to keep it from flipping and sumersaulting across the field. They could barely hold it. One guy was in the cockpit working the pedals keeping it from taking off, 2 guys at the tail holding it down and the other at the front managing the rest! It did lift up totally on one side then came crashing down on the other wing but thankfully only wrecked the boom (a peice underneath the wing). SO CRAZY! I'm not sure how long it lasted but when Brian was finally able to drive again and made it back to the airport all the guys were completely soaked and just quietly standing around the plane in awe. We are SOOO fortunate and Thankful that Brian called in time and they were able to save the plane. They are massive machines but can't stand up to God's amazing storms. The damage that happened is so minimal to what could have happened. Unfortunately the 'bigger & heavier' plane wasn't so tough. It was flipped across the field, hit a tank and wrecked a wing. They heard on the news that night that a tornado touched down not too far away so again we are so thankful that nothing worse happened.
It was too windy for Brian to come home yesterday, so the 'plan' is he should be home this afternoon. The plane is still flyable so after some work this morning he was coming home! I'M SOOO EXCITED! He's been gone 10 days and the week before he left I was at camp so I only have seen him 1 day in almost 3 weeks!
Well I better get back to my house cleaning. Brian's parents are coming tomorrow so it should at least be presentable:)
4 comments:
wow - that's insane!!! glad there was no major damage! :)
Wow...that was a Godsend! Glad Brian had his ear tuned to the weather and there were enough guys to hold it down. Also, can sympathize with you as Aunt Janet is out in WA & I'm in SC this summer. Thankful for our cell phones.
Jen, i can't believe i missed your post about baby :) i'm so happy for you guys. & i'm so sorry about your gramma... Must've been an incredible emotional rollercoaster for you.
You are going to be an incredible mama. i'm excited to watch your belly pics:) you brave lady.
p
wow, that is so hard core...I hear you have been getting crazy hot weather in alberta too...I can't wait to see you in your glory:)
Post a Comment