March 13, 2009

wishing

I don't like to wish my life away....but I wish it was the end of March and I was done my school work.
I really did enjoy the challenge and the learning - but I feel like right now it takes away from things I could or should be doing/reading. Like reading my bible, more devotions, reading christian parenting books, or even just reading a book or a magazine. I can only take so much reading and I feel like I'm wasting it (for lack of a better word) on school. Not that this knowledge is wasteful but in the big picture (I think) there is knowledge that is more important.
Back when I was in highschool I used to read books just for fun. Then when I graduated and went to college and was forced to read I let the fun reading go. I haven't ever really gotten back into it. I think I've maybe read a book a year since then....(hehehe - my Mom is probably wondering if I'm her daughter since she reads a couple books a week!)
Even after I was done bible college and nursing school I didn't read because I always felt I should be doing something more productive or reading something more productive.
The end is in sight tho. I'm in the middle of my last 2 papers and the 2 exams are coming up quick. Maybe I should get a really good *fun* book to read as a reward when I'm all done!
Crazy to think tho - I am looking forward to starting a new course. (?) I'm thinking one course would be easier then 2 and I probably won't have to take off 2 months in the middle to have a baby then cram the last few papers at the end :) Hmmm. What should it be, philosophy or statistics?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I totally *get* you on this one. I've often thought the exact same things - I read like a total maniac in jr high and high school; couldn't imagine my life without it. Then Bible School - yeah, too much reading that you don't really want to read for fun afterwards. And it just keeps going - yes, the need to feel productive rather than spend time escaping in a book...

I want to do more reading, too. You should totally reward yourself with a fun book when you're done!

Philosophy or stats...? Ummm... go for philosophy. Get it out of the way...?

whoever said...

I mostly read what's on the computer monitor (lol), and get the 5 min bathroom read ... parenting and educational magazines, knitting books, country magazines... but I have subscription to Audio Books... on my Palm... so can have a good listen on my trips as taxi mom... well... if I'm not singing along to the children's tape...

my vote on the course... wait til next fall - enjoy the day

Anonymous said...

Unless you are math and equation orientated, don't take statistics. I thought it was a horrible class and if it hadn't been thanks to alot of help from other students in the class (I was taking it at the University of Regina in a regular university setting and not by correspondence) I would have failed miserably. Not for the faint of heart ... though not much reading in the class!!! I'd go for philosophy if those are your only two choices for the program. Hope you get good marks and are pleased with the end result when you've finished both of these courses. It takes a lot of perserverance to finish a correspondence course so you can put two thumbs up for "You Go Girl" for finishing two of them in the midst of a lifechanging experience like having a baby! Paige and Jessica's Cousin - Denise, in Saskatchewan

Anonymous said...

As a person who had stopped reading "fun" books too for a long while, let me say, it's worth getting back into! The "escape" is wonderful. Especially finding a book or books you just CAN'T put down! Let me just make one suggestion (ok, it's 4): THE TWILIGHT SERIES. I kid you not...it's awesome. It's not for some people, but it's worth a try...i couldn't put them down and neither could my husband! Best wishes for "fun" reading in the future. :) ---Mandy H., KC, MO