April 23, 2009

Semi-hibernation stomach

Kellan takes FOREVER to eat! It's been 28 minutes and he's still on the first side. I remember a few mom's telling me that by 3-4 months their babe gets a full meal in 10-15 minutes and sometimes only on one side. So, I was kinda looking forward to that day. That hasn't happened yet and I'm pretty sure it won't.
He usually takes 30 - 50 minutes to eat and for the most part he's eating the whole time. Sometimes he gets distracted and plays with my hair, or pauses to look up and smile at me but overall he just eats. (Today he was a bit extra sleepy after his nap and we needed to add in a diaper change to wake him up.)
I think he has inherited the family stomach. I have a Dad, some uncles, and a Grandpa who can 'pack' it away.
When I was in jr.high I remember my oldest brother eating a whole large pizza so he wouldn't have to eat for the next day or two.
I also remember a year or two ago my 90-something Grandpa visiting my Grandma in the hospital. Since he lives on the same farm as my parents, and my Grandma wasn't there to cook for him, my Mom had him over fo a big farmer breakfast (growing up on these I know one can never leave hungry). After breakfast they headed into town to visit my Grandma right when lunch was arriving. Grandma didn't feel like eating so Grandpa polished off her BIG plate of food with no problem. Then some other family members were going out for lunch and asked if he wanted to come....he paused for a bit and said, "I just ate, but I'm sure I could handle a bit more".
This is also my Grandpa, who at a buffet went for a 3rd plate and came back with it full of bacon! :)
Anyways, after 39 minutes, Kellan's good for a while. He's lying on the floor supposed to be playing but he's just lying there looking at me. Probably too full to move!

Don't let the size and age of my Grandpa fool you. I think in this picture he is giving Kellan hints on how to put the 'purple jello' on top of the mashed potatoes, that way when it melts it mixes with the gravy.....

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Tee hee!

Elizabeth said...

:) That's funny!

kelly ens said...

oh my - that is too funny!!!

Taeya was a SLOOOOW eater for the first 6 months or so. then she suddenly picked up the pace and i was so worried she wasn't getting enough!!! but she kept growing. hopefully kellan will pick up the pace soon too, so you can get more playtime in with him :)