May 15, 2009

How it all began

So, I'm sitting here missing my hubby and being all nostalgic, so I thought I would write out how our story began.

Rewind 7 1/2 years. Here I am a nieve quirky girl fresh out of highschool starting out in the BIG world - or at least a step towards. Moved 2 hours away from home to a small bible college bubble...that's the real world isn't it? After my car breaking down on the side of the road 10 minutes away from my new home, hitching a ride with a random 40ish GUY in a minivan to the college(YES I said I was nieve!!!), and finally getting my stuff, my room set up and saying 'bye' to my parents who came for moral support...I was at college. The next couple days were what they called "Welcome Week" where all the freshmen come a few days before classes start and get to know each other and settle in. We were split into small groups called 'impact groups' and a girl group was paired up with a guy group for the week. So, if you haven't figured it out....my group (1 year certificate girls) was paired up with Brian's group (the pilot guys). So, we played the random team-building games and worked through the list of getting to know you drills and our teams bonded just like we were supposed to. In my head I remember glimpses of Brian in the games but nothing too 'love-at-first-sight'-ish. Anyways, the first evening after the games we all congregated into the dining hall. Our groups sat together and I ended up sitting across from Brian (that could have been intentional or a fluke - I don't rememeber) His younger brother Jordan (who was also there taking courses to become a pastor) came and joined us and we started chatting. Somehow the conversation turned into last names and how to pronounce them. Mine's pretty sraight forward but his can be a bit tricky. Turns out I pronounced it correctly!
AND then I remember thinking (in the subconsious part of my brain):
"I wonder if I will have that last name"
!
So, the year began and the 3 of us became really close and for the most part - inseperable (except for the no girls in the boys dorms & vice-versa rule). Ate lunch and supper together everyday and sat together in all the classes we had together.
Along came Reading Break in November. Jordan drove back to BC to visit his girlfriend (actually I think he hitch-hiked all the way home) and Brian came back with me the my parents farm - eeek! thinking back now that's pretty intense! And I just casually laughed it off, telling everyone we were "just friends".
After that long weekend and some fun memories we both knew something was up.
The day after we got back to school we went for a drive/talk. Back then I was THE WORST at talking seriously and about feelings and looking into people's eyes - so it was a very uncomfortable conversation (probably more for Brian since it was most likely similar to talking to a wall). But we both talked and made it official that we were dating. We maybe even held hand....;)
End of the year rolls around, Brian moves back to BC and I move back home to work for a few months before my nursing program began the following January. We enter into the long-distance relationship which *worked* but wouldn't recommend it!
The following spring my Dad offers Brian a job on the farm - He becomes and Albertan! WOOHOO!!!
I'm living in the city going to school and we see each other on weekends.
That fall he proposes!
I say YES!
And here we are! Happily ever after...

3 comments:

paige said...

i wanted to hear the part of the story where he threatened you to make you start talking!! HAHA!! i think you guys are one of the sweetest pairs.
i don't know Brian as well, but i know he's no dummy 'cause he married you.

Melissa said...

Cute story! I'm sure your drive/talk was OFF-campus, right? 'Cuz, you know holding hands on campus is a no-no, right? Or had they changed that rule?

Lisa said...

That's a sweet story :)