June 20, 2009

*Sigh*

I guess my 'tomorrow' list from yesterday (ha! - if that's not confusing) needs a bit of revision. Looks like I get to enjoy the day with only one of my boys. Brian is out doing farmer things....B0000H!

*READER BEWARE....
TOPIC ON BREASTFEEDING!* :) -just don't want to freak out my brother (haha!)
This past week I've been fighting/figuring out Kellan's diet. There are so many different ideas & thoughts out there - it's hard to figure out the one that I agree with. A bit of trial and error too. Last week when K was pushing his teeth it was a bit of a struggle to get him to b.feed (must have been painful for him) so I upped his 'solid' intake to fill his hungry belly. Then of course my milk supply dropped and he doesn't really like to 'work' for his food so then more solids went into his belly. Thus we've created a problem and now we're working at getting my milk supply back and doing a bit of weaning from the solids. I'm not sure if I'm suffering from the thought of losing my baby or just because I know the benefits of breastfeeding and want that to be the main source of his nourishment - but I don't want to lessen/give it up yet (and not for a long time either!)
Probably another thing is that I have first time mom syndrome, so trying solids was exciting and now that I've got that out of my system I want to go back to mostly breast feeding.
Lessons learned....I'm not sure how clearly I've portrayed them here either, but that's my latest rant :)

4 comments:

paige said...

It's hard! & all babies are so different with what their bodies require/can handle! It's so much trial & error... You'll get it all figured out, Jen! Trust your instincts!

kelly ens said...

couldn't agree more with Paige. you're doing a fabulous job Jen, and you just have to go with your gut, and not be pressured by what other people tell you to do. after all, YOU are Kellan's Mommy, not them!

Lori-Dawn said...

LOL, I remember being so sad when my firstborn didn't want solids until he was 8 months...hehe
Then my 2nd was interested in food at 4 months! But not baby food, oh no, she wanted table food, so she got veggie sticks that couldn't be bitten through..lol
You're doing awesome, just the fact that you're so aware of how your body is working and how it relates to solids etc. is great! I'm dense and it often takes me forever to put 2 and 2 together..lol
You're the best mom for Kellen, and like Paige said, trust your instincts! I like to think that our instincts are often guided by Holy Spirit.
But I'm right there with you, wondering when my little man is going to be interested in food! He's 3 months old now and starting to teeth already, and watching food go into our mouths like a hawk!! lol

Melissa said...

I remember starting J on solids and then backing off so that he didn't have anything for a good month or so... and he was FINE!! Echoing everyone else, "Trust your instincts!!"

On a side note - I remember at one point after J was born - around 6 months - I *felt* like I had a lot less milk all of a sudden, and I was very concerned about it. But I didn't... the doctors and nurses assured me of that! I was also pumping a lot with J, and the amount I got never decreased. Our bodies can and do change and sometimes like to fool us... just a thought...

Don't fret yourself over it. At least try not to. If you're trusting God (which you are), then you will do the right thing. Don't over-think it, just trust! If you decide to go back to exclusive bfeeding, Kellan will let you know if he isn't impressed with the whole thing!

Babies are such a guessing game sometimes... it gets easier with each baby (in my opinion, anyway). You'll do great - he is obviously a very happy little guy!! God is GOOD!