October 12, 2009

This year's Walk To Remember

Picture this... big open space of green grass with fall colored trees all around. Tables covered with white table clothes, pink & blue balloons everywhere and a sea of people all together grieving the same hurt - but in their own way. Thankful for a day they can talk freely of a life that is sometimes hushed.


When we arrived my good friend and her family pulled up just behind us so we went to greet them and meet their new little girl. A momma of 3....should be 5.

I'm not gonna lie - it was c.o.l.d. But I didn't care. I was here for my son and nothing was going to stop me from dedicating this day to him.
We bundled up and arrived with open hearts.

I immediately found my friend. I'd been looking forward to this day ever since last year. Not only would I be able to honour and remember Brennan but I was able to hug a girl who has been such an encouragement since my highschool days but especially since we lost Brennan. A sweet momma of 7 (baby bump included)....should be 9.

They were already writing the names on the sidewalk when we got there and I found Brennan's right away. They spelt his name wrong but his name was there - for everyone to see. I didn't have to shout out his name like I feel I do somedays...."See everyone! I have 2 boys!!!"...


This year they added a 'clothes line' of sorts that you pin your memories to. I had a hard time with this. I wasn't really prepared for it - didn't really know what to write that seemed fitting.

Our little group of 4 families visited for a while then the walk started. The crowd of 700+ walked around the beautiful Legislative grounds then along the sidewalk of names.





After the short walk we gathered together again and listened to the speaker share her story. Then each name was read and one by one the balloons floated up to heaven.




Even though my toes froze in my flipflops it was a beautiful day. I was having a 'strong' day that day so I have a few regrets (in regards to soaking in the little moments and being more thoughtful in my written words) but I am looking forward to next year when my heart, thoughts and words will be a little more prepared.
Thank you to the organizers. It means so much.
Thank you also to my dear friends who captured 'our' moments and the day when our camera died. Some photos also courtesy of www.sweetsalty.com

3 comments:

Garth and Becky said...

Tears are flowing, Jen, as I think of you guys and little Brennan. How awesome that this walk is put on and those little lives remembered. I love how you cherish this little angel and know you will continue to do so forever.

kelly ens said...

so precious. indeed, you have TWO boys - and we will ALWAYS remember that.
beautiful pictures, Jen.

mtvantol said...

Brennan, we will always remember you.

We will never forget holding your sweet little body for that short time we had with you even though your soul was already with Jesus.

We will never forget your lovely dark curly hair.

We will never forget your little fingers and toes.

We will never forget that you had the van Tol nose.

We will never forget that your parents will always love and miss you.

Love you forever - Oma & Opa