November 17, 2009

Question for the Moms

Lately (probably the past week or two) Kellan hasn't been eating much. He's never had a huge appetite but would easily finish a baby sized bowl of food every meal.
And ever since he's been drinking formula (last 2 months) he's only had about 1 cup a day - not a ton.
But the last few days he's kinda reversed things.
Today he barely ate a thing but polished off 2 big sippy cups full of milk.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Should I let him have free reign on the milk, or try to cut him back and push the solids?
I try to get the healthiest formula so I'm pretty sure he's getting everything he needs. My gut instint says this is 'ok' but I'd just like some feedback from you 'been there done that' moms.
Thanks!

5 comments:

Garth and Becky said...

I'd go with your gut. I wouldn't worry about him drinking more milk over the solids right now. You may find that it reverses itself in the next few days with teething to blame...or you may never know "why"!

kelly ens said...

i agree - go with your gut. sometimes they just aren't as hungry and will eat less. i know ezra always eats less when he's teething. but maybe he's just simply not hungry right now and will get back into it soon :)

Melissa said...

His appetite will come back, for sure. My pediatrician said that kids this age can thrive on one really good meal a week - seems like a stretch, but their nutrition requirements are different from ours.

Too much milk probably isn't a good thing - but 2 cups a day is definitely within reason. If you're worried about him getting too much more than that, would water be an acceptable alternative?

Soon you'll be able to put him on regular milk, right? What is the recommendation now? I've heard anywhere from 9-12 months... we usually hold off, but I've heard of some going earlier.

If you get to a point of concern, have him checked out - you're his mama and you know best!

Elizabeth said...

Lately Jaden has been hardly eating anything some days and then eating fine the next. I was worried about it and did some research and found out that is actually pretty normal. I think teething plays a big part of why it happens! Another thing is try not to give them a lot of liquid at the same time you are feeding them solids since that will also fill them up. Hope that helps!

Lori-Dawn said...

You're an awesome mom Jen. You can't have a blog like this and suck...LOL
babies tend to go in ebbs and flows until they totally stop growing as a teen/young person. So don't ever let this worry you. they don't starve themselves and you would know if something was wrong because he'd be a super cranky monster!!!
remember than often babies don't even eat ANYTHING until they are 1 yr old...blessings to you! Keep trusting your instincts! I believe that that is the Holy Spirit in us...