March 25, 2010

Just getting by

Since going back to work I've kinda been feeling like we're just getting by. Doing the bare minimum.
I go to work when it's still dark, get home in time to put Kellan to bed, laze around for an hour then go to bed. Then on my days off I spend the first day recovering and the following days cleaning the previous days messes, laundry, errands then we start all over again.
Honestly, I don't know how full-time working out of the house Mom's do it. Either they are SUPER organized, don't sleep, or something is lacking.
I used to be someone who worked on projects, had goals and felt, for the most part, organized. Somewhere in the past 3 months I lost that.
Thankfully my packed work schedule is slowing down. I've had the past 4 days off and I've stopped to reflect on my life and see what a mess I'm in.
Actually, on my 2nd day off, not having a thing on the calendar and not having to go to work for a while I didn't know what to do with myself. I actually wished I had to work cuz I was going kinda stir crazy.
That's when I realized what I/we had been missing and decided to change a few things.
So, over the last few days I've caught up on the usual laundry and house cleaning...but I have also spent more quality time with Kellan, started some projects, made some pretty fabulous meals (the yorkshire pudding wasn't a total flop ;), exercised!!! (haven't done that in weeks!), and just felt like I'm 'back in the game'.
Living day to day and doing enough just to get by sucks.
I knew when I decided to go back to work that I would be signing us up for a bit of disruption, and I kept telling myself that things will get back to normal when I get in those dreaded 600 hours (enough for mat leave). Yes, now that I am able to cut my hours back a bit it will help lots, but I think attitude is key.
Here's to a better one!

1 comment:

Denise said...

"Living day to day and doing enough just to get by sucks."

Now ... close your eyes and stop for a moment and think about doing that every day for months -- year in year out...

That's what my life has been like and I am only now (three years post marital split) starting to feel like maybe I can "get my life back" again...

Plenty of projects that COULD be done... and plenty of quality time I COULD spend with my two kiddos...

Thanks for the reflective post... and glad you didn't waste YEARS "just getting by."

Take it from me -- it sucks, big time!!

~ Paige's Saskatchewan Cousin