March 18, 2010

Playgroup & Haircuts

Today I braved something I had been dreading for a while. Playgroup.
I don't get energized by people. I'm not great in crowds either. Give me a small group of people I'm comfortable with and I'm fine, but new people in large quantities where you are kind of forced to interact with them is not my favorite. But for Kellan's sake I went.
Kellan isn't a shy clingy boy, but he usually just stands and watches when he's with other kids. I want him to start interacting with more people/kids before he gets too old and he's forced to, and when baby comes and we're a little more house bound and really don't feel like leaving.
I was pretty impressed with him today. I put him down to take our coats off and register and he walked towards where the kids were playing and just watched them - not really caring if I was there or not. We went to circle/song time (another thing I despise) and he was about excited about it as I was, but once the kids got playing with the toys he joined in and would play right along side them.
I knew some of the moms there so we had some awkward chats about kids/work, but overall I felt welcomed and accepted.
It's on the calendar for next month, and I'm not counting down the days in anticipation, but I think our experience was good enough that we will attempt it again.
If I have to.
I might call in sick.

If you drive by our house this is what you might see:

From inside:

Today (a couple times and last night once) I gave Kellan a haircut. In the past I have just used the biggest clipper setting but this time I just wanted to do a little trimming. Well, the crooked trimmings turned into a full out haircut but it actually looks pretty cute - now that it's all said and done. It's not super short but it's more of a neater look then the uneven shag he has been sporting. I'll try to get a good pic tomorrow.

Brian is at floor hockey tonight and K is in bed so it's a quiet night at home for me. I'll maybe watch a little 'The Office', finish tidying up from supper then cozy up with a book until my roommate comes home.

Oh, tonight when I was getting Kellan ready for bed I noticed he has a wart on his thumb! I didn't know little kids even got those! I hope it's not a sign as of what is to come! Any tips/advice?

5 comments:

Carol said...

Cute pictures of the little head in the window!

kelly ens said...

good on you for trying a new playgroup - that is always hard!
i love kellan's little head poking over the window sill :)
does Kellan suck his thumb? that could be the 'wart' but is actually a callous. i know lots of thumb-suckers who get those on their thumb, right near the middle joint/knuckle.
if he's not a thumb sucker and it really is a wart, i have no idea how he got it either, and would take him to the doc to figure out how to deal with it!

Jen said...

No he doesn't suck his thimb (just his fingers) and it has the califlower look with a dark pinpoint....so that's why I'm guessing it's a wart.

corrievt said...

I love the little head by the big window! What a cute thing to see as you walk by. I hope the little ol'lady who walks by every day looks over and enjoys it.

Denise said...

My little girl had a wart on her hand. Took her to the doctor. They put stuff on it. Used an elastoplast bandage and you had to keep the bandage on for 24 hrs. or more. And it disappeared in no time flat.

We had to take her twice though as the first doctor (a man) just put those plastic regular bandaids on it and since it was on her palm -- of course it wouldn't stick.

The second doctor (a week later) was a woman and had her smarts about her and used a big long chunk of elastoplast and it worked really well.

Good luck!

Paige's Saskatchewan Cousin