May 07, 2010

Memories of & Thoughts on Birth

Preliminary Note: In no way am I saying my thoughts on labour/delivery are the *right* way and I am not judging if you do things differently. Sometimes I word things which can come across wrong - these are just my ramblings :)

A few times these last couple weeks that subject has come up in my head. I guess it's that time to start thing about & preparing for the upcoming birth of this little one. The thought brings many feelings - those of nervousness, excitement, panic & wonder. Sometimes I think: "ah, I've done this a couple times...no biggie". Other times I get a little worried about my body maybe not being as fit as it has been in the past or if my body or this baby will be 'uncooperative' making things a bit more difficult.

But instead of worrying and wondering, I want to prepare my body, my mind and my heart.

The day leading up to Brennan's birth wasn't one of a relaxed setting or a time of making sure I have all my birthing books read and labour position sheet in hand...no, it was a time of confusion, disbelief...just going through the motions. Not having time or even the thought to google "how to make the best of your stillbirth experience", I just did what people told me and took things as they came. 24 hours after we found out Brennan was gone I was induced. It felt chemical. It didn't feel right - my body and mind rebelling. The contractions came fast and hard (especially for an unripe & first birth body as well as having no help from the little one within). They piggybacked and only let off some in between.

There was beauty in it too - unconsciously I was willingly accepting this pain & this great job as one last thing I could physically do as his earthly momma.

I asked for morphine because my Dr has told me earlier that morning to take anything/everthing for the pain "because I was going to be going through enough pain as it was"
The morphine took the 'edge' off and gave me breaks inbetween each contraction.
A few hours later, after labouring on our own (which I am thankful for), I was asking for an epidural and they were wheeling me down to the L&D room. Once arriving there & begging to push, I was told I was 9cm and could push once the Dr arrived (who had been paged). Because the end was so close I refused the epidural.

I'll never forget the picture of that limp/lifeless body on the bed. One of those things that is burned in my memory.

In some ways I regret taking the morphine - knowing I didn't quite do 'everything' I could have as his momma BUT I also know that it helped me *enjoy* his birth more.
I'm not beating myself up over it.
It's kinda interesting to me tho that I look back at his birth with a tiny bit more fondness then with Kellan's. Because of the induction I would say overall it was more painful even with the morphine but it was a crazy rollercoaster that over time became very beautiful to me.
I think the 2nd time around a lot of fear & unknown clouded my mind...so I am excited for what's in store for the arrival of this little one.

Kellan's birth was much different. I knew I wanted a natural labour but because of the fear of what I know can happen - I would have jumped at any opportunity of an induction. Thankfully God knew what I needed and his timing was perfect.
3 days overdue I enjoyed a relaxing morning of labouring at home then off to the hospital for a few short hours. The contractions were just as painful but they felt different. They felt *right*. I felt on top of them - where as with Brennan I felt completely out of control & lost.

I remember my last couple contractions crying because it was almost too much - but I knew I was transitioning and that if would be over soon. Brian called for the Dr & nurses as I was ready to push - well almost ready. One of the worst parts of Brennan's labour was trying not to push - it's an undescribable feeling really - so I wanted the Dr to be ready when I wanted to push. I was almost 10 cm and he let me push but secretly in my mind I knew I should have waited a few more contractions.
I could definately tell the difference in the size of my boys. 2 pushes compared to 1/2 hour (not that that is really anything to complain about). Pushing feels like the last leg of a race - you find some strength somewhere and the contractions are easier because you are working with them instead of through them.
As soon as Kellan was born I remember feeling nothing. I watched them take his blue body over to the table and thinking "there is my baby" but with no emotion.

It's amazing what that first cry can do...

So, I will ponder on my birthing experiences - taking mental notes as to what I would do again and what I wouldn't.
Hoping that it will be natural again but not making any rules or promises to myself.
Someday I might consider a midwife or an at home birth but because of my medical background I'm happy with birthing at the hospital. Not only because of the "what if's" but also because I kinda thrive on the medical jargon and all the monitors & beeps (as distracting as they are).
My Dr broke my water and gave me an episiotomy with Kellan - both without asking. I haven't totally thought completely through that but it will probably be a discussion I will have with my Dr. I know he will argue about the episiotomy because of Kellan's shoulder dystocia and the probability of having another big baby.

Anyways, I've just started this discussion in my head and know there will be much more thought about it. Probably another post or two.
Sometimes I think myself crazy...but I love births (experiencing & hearing others). It's a beautiful & productive pain - with the most amazing gift at the end!
(Secretly, I'm really looking forward to it :S )

Any resources that you found helpful - feel free to let me know. I'm all about preparing - it's kinda like nesting but for the body & mind.

8 comments:

Lola said...

I just LOVE birth. So much. I enjoy hearing your stories. I think you are a brave and strong woman. And I honestly believe that once a woman is educated about birth the best place to be is the place where she feels safest. I've been at a lot of births now and I've seen women be nervous wrecks at home and then get to the hospital and immediately relax. When I'm in labor, I walk into the hospital and immediately my blood pressure rises and the mama bear "don't do unnecessary things to my baby or me" instinct kicks in and I'm miserable. Birth is personal and no way is the "best way". I do think natural birth rocks though and ultimately provides a better experience for most mothers and babies.

I can't wait to hear how it goes and I'll be praying as you get closer. If I can actually have a little forewarning with my birth, I'm going to be video taping it and I'll put it up with a password so my lady friends can watch it. I hope for it to be rated G. Must. remember. sports bra. Some won't want to see it but if you do, let me know.


I know this one will be great! I'm so excited for you.

kelly ens said...

definitely good to think through these things...good healing AND preparedness for the arrival of this third baby :)
PS. having a midwife do a hospital delivery was a GREAT combo for us...

Melissa said...

Yes, now that midwives are covered in Alberta, I would echo Kelly's comment there. Now, trying to FIND a midwife at this stage of the game is tricky - so many mommas actually go on a waiting list before they're even pregnant!!

I bought a book called "The Birth Partner" for Graeme and I to read; it told me a LOT that I didn't know already. Graeme never did read it (erg), but I loved it. I can loan it to you if you'd like!!

As for me... after having two insanely long epidural births and then *choosing* and preparing to do Meaghan's birth without any interventions at all was the most amazing thing... I wouldn't go back and do another epidural birth. They even let my water break on its own, which was a pretty *strange* but RELIEVING feeling... but yeah, that urge to push and being told not to - that's gotta be the topper. Next time, if there is a next time, I will be hoping to use a midwife in a hospital... shhhh... I'm not sure Graeme knows that yet!! :) ha ha!! Actually, I think I've mentioned it to him before, and he wasn't opposed (that I remember)... he just doesn't want to do a home birth.

Oh, I could go on and on, too...

Carol said...

I had 2 good hospital birth experiences and my third, and last one, was a home birth with a midwife. All of them were special. I certainly would recommend having a midwife - all that extra time spent at appointments, the friendship formed and the post-birth home visits were so nice.

I am one of the few who LOVED being pregnant including the labour and delivery - most of my friends laugh at me when I say this.

I also really enjoy hearing other womens birth stories.

Garth and Becky said...

I had epidurals with my first two and have gone natural with our second two. The recovery time after going natural is SO much easier and I felt so much more in control over the whole situation. In order to prepare for our latest birth, we read Dr. Bradley's Husband-Coached Childbirth book and took the Bradley classes. They were a HUGE help in preparing me for my 11 hour labor this time and I'd highly recommend taking the time to read his book.

I, too, love reading birth stories...they never get old. Birth is truly a miracle and I'm reminded of that every day when I look into the eyes of baby Ruth. Can't wait to see how it goes for you this time around and for you to hold that sweet babe in your arms.

Dor said...

spinningbabies.com I lurve spinning babies :)
I'm admittedly a natural birth guru. Birthing babies makes me feel strong and fulfilled..odd as that may sound. God's really blessed me with great births, particularly with my last two. There's always that fear and doubt kind of lurking around the corners starting off but such comfort knowing everything will work out the way it's supposed to.

I don't recall Kellan being particularly large. At any rate if you ever run into shoulder dystocia again hands and knees is totally the best position to aid in getting baby unstuck. Also helps with large babes I'm told. I haven't tried it myself. I gave birth to Levi (who was 9 lb 5 oz) side-lying with nary a skid mark. A decided improvement over my semi prone births. :> Helps when your doc is willing to give something else a try. Anyhoo shutting up now. I tend to run on when birth is the topic.

Bonnie said...

Yes, it is so fun to hear the inside story of someone else's birthing experiences. IT's so neat how God does not give exactly the same experiences to each labour & delivery, how we don't know how each l & d will turn out. Every one is different! He gives us the gift of finding out other people's experiences and seeing if things can apply to our own. How cool!

Lori-Dawn said...

I love birthy stuff too...lol Do you have the book Supernatural Childbirth? It's pumped full of Scripture verses and is SO encouraging to ANY mama, whether birthing at home or in the hospital, with a Dr., midwife or unassisted.
I totally agree with what Dor said...my 2nd had shoulder dystocia, she was 8lbs 4 oz, then 3 yrs later I had my 3rd who was 9lbs 11oz and he popped out with minimal pushing and less tearing! I only tore because my husband was starting to panic lol and the shoulders were not kind to me as I pushed extra hard. I was on my hands and knees with my 3rd as well and not on my back which is the worst position to push in as it doesn't allow your pelvis to open up nicely. Blessings to you Jen, I totally enjoy labor...lol Especially my last one, which was rather painless...and very short!