August 04, 2010

A few days ago we went on a date. Just the 2 of us (well, technically 3).
We held hands and walked around a lake. We had uninterupted conversations. We watched a movie in an actual theatre. We had an expensive dinner and lingered over it.

In our dating days it was rare for us to go on a date like that and fast forward 9 years, it's even more rare.

Neither of us are romantic people. We often make fun of or gag at the thought of romance.
Brian will sometimes pretend to serenade me with a love song on his guitar just to make me laugh or throw something at him.
If we're watching a movie and a sappy love scene comes on I'll try to re-enact it just to make him feel awkward and he'll push away my face with his hand.

(engaged!)
We met the very first day of bible college and we've been inseperable ever since. During that year, 80% of our time together, I'd either tag along with him and his brother, or his brother would tag along with us.
The year after that we dated over the phone a province apart. (boo!)
We didn't waste much time to get married after I finished my schooling in the city the following year.

I guess we have our own romance. We redefine the word and make it our own.
I like it.
We hold hands, we cuddle, we laugh together and at each other, and make each moment together a good one.
We don't need candle lit dinners and boxes of chocolates to tell each other we love them. We just say it.
Both of our love languages is quality time. So that's what we do.

I guess what I'm saying is that I love my husband and he loves me back.
But you won't ever catch us slow dancing.

5 comments:

kelly ens said...

cute :)


and romantic. haha.

paige said...

o, j - you're missing out. Snafoo him for a slow dance tonight. 's so good for the soul.

fawne said...

aww....thanks for sharing your story. loved every bit.
love how each couple is different. love how we are each comfortable being "us."

where did you go to bible college?

Jen said...

Fawne -

We went to bible college in 3Hills at Prairie.

fawne said...

oh...if it wasn't for that college i wouldn't be alive. :-) since it's where my parents met. been there plenty of times.
that's great.