As I sit and wait for the last few minutes to count down on the Ebay item I'm bidding on, I'm going to tell you about how I am not competitive.
The other day I was bidding (again on Ebay) on a guitar pedal for Brian. There were 2 of us bidding on it and I knew it was going to be a struggle. He bid me up with 10 minutes remaining, so (probably in my Ebay-inexperience) I bid again. I watched the last couple minutes dwindle, then I thought to myself...."he's going to bid with 10 seconds left, isn't he?!"...
So, I came up with a plan. A really good plan. I typed in $1 more then the next minimum bid allowed and sat and waited. My great plan was to either bid as soon as he upped the price OR bid at 5 seconds so I was guaranteed to win with my 'higher then the recommended' bid.
As the seconds slowly ticked, my heart started to race. My hands began to shake as I kept my finger on the left button of the mouse and the mouse arrow on "place bid".
10...9...8....7...6..5....
Just as I was to place my bid I saw the words "you've been outbid"
...4...
Somehow magically my fingers cooperated with my foolproof plan.
My bid was in!!!
"Sorry you didn't win" popped up on the screen.
What!?! How could this be??! I could feel the adrenaline surging through my body and the pain of defeat set in.
I was embarrassed that my plan didn't work.
Mad that I had lost.
Humbled that I failed.
(Looking back now I see the many errors in my plan....)
So what have I learned from this experience?
I've learned that I am not competitive.
I just don't like to lose.
*update*
AND I learned how to win an item on E-bay (or at least I lucked out!)...
Kalli's baby book/memory book is in the mail!!! WOOTWOOT!
3 comments:
haha! i'm not competitive either. That's why i like the "buy now" button on ebay :) i use that way more frequently than bidding!
That's what we ended up doing for getting the guitar pedal. Way less stressful!
Yes but you probably pay more than you need to with the Buy Now option.... (at least in my experience)... I sold quite a few things on ebay a few years ago. Should probably start listing again. It was odd to see what sold and what didn't... the stuff you thought would go in a heartbeat sat and didn't get bids while other things you weren't so sure about did first thing!
Paige's Saskatchewan Cousin
Post a Comment