March 22, 2011

FOOD (Part deux)

We've always eaten fairly healthy. In highschool and the early years of our marriage I was a real health nut (more for the weight loss aspect then the health aspect). But during my pregnancies and while nursing, which has basically been the last 4 years, I've grown a little slacker knowing that I needed/I'd use up extra calories. The only thing was that the extra calories that I consumed were not necessarily 'healthy' calories. Ahem.

I guess my body started to rebel and now I'm on the healthier road again. But we're doing things a bit different.
Basically we're eating foods as traditional and unprocessed as we can. 'Real' food.
A lot of it is common sense and stuff we had been doing before - lots of fruits & veggies, whole wheat & grains, try to limit sugar... But I'm doing lots of new things too - using butter, ghee & different types of high quality oils (olive & coconut), making lots of things by scratch, using honey and natural sweeteners, thinking more natural/organic...
It's funny because I come from a family that isn't so organic. Heck, we're the total opposite! - we are the ones who spray the crops with chemicals!!!
Thankfully I grew up along side my mom in the garden and kitchen, raised my own cows, pigs and chickens so my mind is really in that mindset but I have lots to learn too. And it's been pretty fun so far.
I've been learning how & trying my hand at making more things from scratch (sauerkraut, yogurt, sourdough - which was a flop!, soaking grains & beans and even sprouting grains) and it has really brought out the pioneer girl in me.
I have dreams of living on a farm with chickens and cows, gardens and the like.  One day...hopefully sooner than later.  I'd probably go as far as getting a milk cow & grinding our own flour, but I'm sure we (Brian ;) will draw the line somewhere and we'll do what is practical for our family.

5 comments:

kelly ens said...

love it!!! way to go, Jen :)

Marissa said...

It is so great and yet so challenging to eat healthier, real food. I found it hard the first time around while nursing but with my little Cecily, I find that I am hungry continually and my body just craves and it is so much easier to just fill it with things that make it feel temporarily full...now we just don't have the stuff so I have to choose the better options:)...though I will admit to sending Dan to the grocery store every so often!

Garth and Becky said...

Interesting! We started a lot of these same things (on a road to healthier living) 2 weeks ago. We all are feeling so much better and have loads more energy. We've cut out all sweets and are eating loads of veggies, fruits, and protein. Meals are actually taking less time to prepare because they are simpler (less ingredients, etc). I'd love for you to share any yummy recipes you come across. Here's one for really yummy butternut squash that we love: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Garlicky-Baked-Butternut-Squash/Detail.aspx.

Dor said...

Looks likes someone has got you hooked up to the world of Nourishing Traditions. :) Me too!

Lola said...

I can't wait to hear how it goes and how you feel as you progress. The best thing I've done for my health in the last six months is to have a constant pot of chicken stock going. I drink salted bone broth before each meal. It probably grosses most people out but I feel so good when I do it consistently. We get chicken carcasses from out butcher for a few bucks each.

Yay for butter!