We are looking at 3 houses today!
I just have a few questions that I'd like to throw out there...
1- Would you sacrifice distance from town for a nice area (dead end road beside a park)?
2- Would you choose a smaller backyard with a bigger house or vise versa?
3a- Would you choose a higher price/completed house over a cheaper price/fixer upper? (side note: because of Brian's long work week (60hrs) we would also be sacrificing family time for renovation time)
3b- Would you choose a older renovated home or a newer slightly dated home? (1960 vs 1980)
And any other helpful tips for a growing family who is house hunting is greatly appreciated!! :)
6 comments:
If it were me I would pick an old home with character in a nice area even if it's a little farther from town that needed superficial things done but not major work. The most important thing to me is original wood flooring. But... everyone has their own preferences as far as location, style and age. I would say that you will know when you look at the perfect house. Just make sure it has room for a lot more babies :) I'm excited to see what you pick.
Not sure if this helps and you don't know me but praying just that right home comes your way and in your heart you will know!!
I would go for a bigger kitchen & dinning room where famiy & extended family can gather. A bigger yard, but not major renovations. smaller bedrooms are ok but much needed bathrooms as the kids grow. Area depends on transportation and access to friends!! long term buses for school kids? do you want to take them to school? ie walk. Weather?? What do you remember when you grew up &what impacted you in-regards to your home & family.
I would go with a completely finished close to playground. I wouldn't sacrifice family time because they are only little once and you don't want to compromise the little time you have....just my two cents.
Well... as someone who has bought two "fixer-uppers" in two years, I would say - Go with the completed house! It is completely impossible to get anything done with the littles awake; and I am usually too exhausted to get anything done when they are sleeping... and I hate feeling like our place is a disaster zone.
I would for bigger house/smaller yard... We actually finally moved into a house with a large yard and I still find myself going out to parks & fields to play. You can always use a park for more outside space, but you can't add bedrooms or living space to a house all that easily :)
I wouldn't worry too much about the age of the home as long as the "bones" of the home (foundation) and the expensive fixes (furnace, roof, windows) are in good condition. You probably will already do this, but make sure you get an inspection.
This is sooo exciting! I'll pray for wisdom for you & Brian!
i think you have to decide what's most important to YOU. :) helpful, right? ;)
Going through reno's right now with a beautiful but needs lots of work home with two little ones and another on the way...I would say make sure that it is a least liveable and then expect it to be a lot more work than it looks.The sacrificing of family time is really hard. I would go for the bigger yard as long as there is still room for a growing family (creativity can make a lots of room in a house...not as much with a yard). And a dead end by a park sounds great to me!
Post a Comment