December 14, 2011

Expectations

My expectations this year for Christmas/New Years/moving in, are being shot down left, right and center.  I was texting a friend yesterday and telling her all my busy-ness and great woes (k, they weren't that great, but I was pretty upset when my apple muffins were a flop...cooking disasters always make me feel like a horrible wife/mother...)  She suggested that my expectations might need to be lowered.
Ya.  Probably :/

This (2 block) move has been tough.  So much to do.  I feel SO unorganized (mostly because I AM!)  And I am waaaaay behind in my 'to do' list :(
We are having Brian's family here for New Years and I wanted to house to be painted, decorated and bursting with Christmas goodness when they came - but that dream is not even close to coming true.  And my perfectionism is trying not to be bothered by that!

Maybe if I tell you what I wanted to get done, I will feel better?  ;)
- main floor and Kalli's room painted
- Christmas letter/cards written
- Kellan's birthday party planned and pulled off
- area rugs, decor and curtains bought and in place
- Christmas decorating and baking done
- all boxes unpacked and everything organized
- kitchen reno complete
- fireplace painted and mantle built
- Christmas presents wrapped (and mail those that need to be mailed)
- start getting into a workout routine again

Wow, seriously?  I had to laugh when I went back and reread that.  And of course on top of that I must be a stellar wife and mother with a clean/tidy house and home cooked meals.


So, now I will swallow my pride and tell you what I have done...
- kitchen reno done (90% of that done by my husband - so definitely no credit due to me!!!...not that I'm looking for credit here....)
- Christmas shopping 1/2 done.  (And those mailed ones, ya those should have been sent out last week!)
- 1/2 of the main floor painted
- 4 Christmas cards written
- Kellan's party planned the night before - but it did go over well :)
- Christmas decorating was a must!  So that was done weeks ago ;)
- I bought butter yesterday for Christmas baking
- fireplace painted!  That ugly thing was first to go!
- no exercise.  what-so-ever.
- nothing decorated.  no rugs bought.  no curtains hung.
- our garage is full of boxes.  So very unorganized.
- definitely haven't been a stellar wife or mother :/

So, what did I accomplish?  Like a quarter of my original 'to do' list.
And you know what?  I think I'm ok with that.
None of you will probably get Christmas cards this year, and those visiting this Christmas - sorry for the unorganized mess and un-homey home.
But I'm going to slow down and celebrate Christmas for what it is.
And maybe clean the kitchen...

7 comments:

Carol said...

1/4 of your list is better than most of us would have accomplished! Way to go! Relax and enjoy Christmas in your new place.

paige said...

Brian is so lucky... You are a lot like Neil... You have the ability to see in simple terms What needs to be done -or what you want to get done, and then you just plug away at it. You are not a perfectionist!!!! You get waaaay too much done to be a perfectionist. We might be having a baking day on Friday... I bought butter too ;)
I can't wait to come visit your new place!

Tyann said...

Oh J! You're a great wife and mother! Your family is happy! That's what counts, not if everything is in place and organized! Try to enjoy the season.

Unknown said...

Jen - you are an amazing mom and wife - there is no use even comparing!
We are going to have so much fun at your place - don't even worry about it - nobody really even appreciates the little details as much as we do ourselves anyways.
As for the work out - well, you can ALWAYS feel good in comparison with me - I haven't even gone for an excercise WALK in over 3 months!!!

Jen said...

Oh Jen! We do that to ourselves, don't we?!

To be completely honest... I am a wee bit jealous of ALL your DID get accomplished :)

You rock! Here's to many years of enjoying your new home!

kelly ens said...

Take it easy on yourself. This is a busy time of year and i think the family will be happy just to be at your new place, whether the boxes are all unpacked or not :)
can't wait to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Remember a house is not a home just because of the way it looks...it's a home because of the warmth and caring of the people within it's walls.
Shelley in SK