February 27, 2012

Home

I've been asking myself lately "how long will it take to feel at home?"
"How long until we're settled?"

We call these 4 walls 'home'.  But does it feel like 'home'?  No.
It's very familiar.
I know which step to skip when walking upstairs at night so the squeak won't wake the kids.
I know how you have to push hard on the front door so the lock catches.
I know, when turning on the gas stove in the family room, you have to hit it a couple times before the wires connect....not a great thing is it?
I know you have to turn the hot water tap in the tub a little tighter otherwise it drips.

This house is familiar, but it's not quite 'home'.

I still get caught going in circles trying to remember which cupboard or which drawer the cups or spoons are.
I still hit the wrong garage door button when parking Brian's work truck.
I'm still learning which light switch turns on the entry way light and which turn on the outside lights.
I still lie awake a night trying to figure out each bang and creak as the house settles down for the night.

A friend, who has moved numerous times growing up and in adulthood, told me one time, that it takes about a year to feel at home in a new spot.  Experiencing each season in that new house, yard and town.

We like it here.  We love our house.  The church is warm and we're getting comfortable there.  There are kinks and bumps we are figuring out with jobs and such.  I have met a few of our close neighbors but the winter has locked a few others up in their homes.  I know how to get around town and even know a few of the back routes, but taking wrong turns or getting lost is still not uncommon for me.

I've never really made a big move like this before.  I did a few years at college but those towns/cities were already familiar to me.
I feel like I'm growing up.  Moving away from all that I know and stepping out into the unknown with my husband.  I love it.  I love taking this huge plunge with the ones I love.  Making our own way.  Pushing us out of our comfort zone but pushing us closer together and closer to our God.
Even though my world is a bit chaotic and confusing and we aren't quite 'home', we have found 'home' in our Fathers arms; peace and comfort in this crazy, exciting and scary journey.

2 comments:

Tyann said...

Love. Beautiful. Inspiring.

kelly ens said...

love this, Jen. praying for more and more settling overall for you! :)