October 07, 2008

Walk to Remember - Oct.4th

Saturday was a beautiful day.
We got to the Legislative grounds (where the walk took place) around 12:30 and met up with my good friend, Paige, and her family. Her sister and her family were also there so we met them and also enjoyed the day with them. We registered then chatted while we waited for the walk to start.

My ribbon cookie:

They opened with a welcome then 350+ people started the 1.8 km walk around the Legislative grounds (it was the 1st annual and were only expecting 75 people so it was a great turn out!) The weather was beautiful and the fall colors were so pretty.


Paige & I:

As we were walking back to where the walk started we noticed a long sidewalk that they had written all our babies names on with chalk. It was so special to find Brennan's name and again 'prove' his life ~ that he was here and touched our lives. I like how my friend wrote it on her blog: "We found sweet Brennan's name written in white & standing out so clearly 'i was here'..."



We found Paige's little boy, Caleb, and her sister's little girl, Charis, but couldn't find Paige's sweet little girl, Hope. We walked the whole length of the sidewalk twice looking for her name but couldn't find it. They had started the ceremony so we went to go sit. Paige didn't look too disappointed but I know she had to have been cuz even I was. But thankfully her sister found Hopes name a little while later - so glad she didn't get 'left out'.



The ceremony was nondenominational - they had a few short speeches/poems then handed out balloons to everyone that had lost a little one. We wrote our babies names on tags and tied them to the balloon. Then they read all the babies names and as Brennan's name was called we released our balloon.

Brian tieing Brennan's tag to the balloon:

Paiges babies names were said right after Brennan's so we got to watch our balloons float up to heaven together:


The ceremony/walk was over after the balloons were released but we stayed and hung out for a while and chatted.

A non-flattering picture of us but thanks to Stephanie who took the only one of us together:

Tulip bulbs that they handed out to plant in memory of our little ones:

It was such a good day to remember Brennan and his life and to see the many other lives touched by wee ones.

4 comments:

paige said...

Oh,jen! i love the picture with the trees & the leaves...
i *was* disappointed & planned to go back & look some more after the ceremony... i thought they *couldn't* have forgotten. Baby Hope's name was written so cute & i'm reminded again of what a perfect name Sloanie picked out for our baby.
The balloon release, for me, was very moving... i thought at first we would all release our balloons at the same time... but having them read our child's name & then have us release the balloon was so tender. i think it reminds me of the physical 'letting go'... My fingers want to hold on ~ & yet, there's a peace, knowing that the physical is temporary ~ the spiritual is eternal & we will meet again...
Thank you so much for being so generous with your sorrow, jen (if that makes sense...)
(((hugs)))
p

paige said...

k, here is what i meant:

If a friend of mine gave a feast, and did not invite me to it, I should not mind a bit... But if... a friend of mine had a sorrow and refused to allow me to share it, I should feel it most bitterly. If he shut the doors of the house of mourning against me, I would move back again and again and beg to be admitted, so that I might share in what I was entitled to share. If he thought me unworthy, unfit to weep with him, I should feel it as the most poignant humiliation, as the most terrible mode by which disgrace could be inflicted on me... he who can look on the loveliness of the world and share it's sorrow, and realize something of the wonder of both, is in immediate contact with divine things, and has got as near to God's secret as anyone can get.
-Oscar Wilde

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, Jenn, but I have been following your blog since you lost your precious, Brennan. You are very inspiring and I wish you and Brian all the best. I am praying that you have a safe delivery and and healthy baby in December.

The "Walk to Remember" sounds like it was a nice event and the weather was perfect. You have great pictures.

middie said...

yup, freaky when everyone thinks they know.
I cried and cried on your last post...
...you have the perfect baby bump- don't worry i wouldn't come up and touch it even though sometimes I feel like that when i see pregnant ladies...I know I can't take myself anywhere...