February 25, 2009

English Essay - Genesis 11:1-9

I'm on to my next English Assignment and it is on an aspect of language. One of the choices was this:

Read the story of the Tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1-9). Does the story have an application to the question of English and other languages today?

Now, it interested me because it was on the Tower of Babel (all the others were some other boring readings that really didn't interest me). The only thing is that it is supposed to be a 4-5 pages essay. Any ideas on how to stretch it out that long?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read Tower of Babel yet but have read a short summary of it. Perhaps analyzing the story in terms of one language that is universal to all and the attempts of confusion by the variety of languages today. You can perhaps also write something in terms of the evolution of language and it's impact on communication and understanding, but always using English to better convey a message? (Just thinking outloud, I'm intrigued... I'll probably be back) LOL!

Anonymous said...

If the situation at the Tower of Babel had not taken place and confused the issue, what language would be most dominant on earth today? Why do people yell louder in English when they are trying to talk to a foreigner who doesn't understand what they are saying. Is English really better than other languages - like the Romance ones for example. Are there percentages you could get of English speakers vs other languages? It is a very wide topic, that's for sure! I've taken some Athabasca University courses (History) and know that the profs expect a bit of thought and some depth to the essays. Good luck! How is your psychology going? Almost done?? Denise (Paige and Steph's cousin)

whoever said...

Were they mostly men who were talking? LOL And can we understand them yet? Ok Ok ... I just figured cuz I couldn't be smart I'd be a smart Alex!