Another anniversary. Another year.Yesterday I had big plans and intentions of cleaning up the house, exercising, finishing my last English paper, making a baked cheesecake, giving Kellan a bath, getting supper prep done, curling my hair, wrapping Brian's gift and writing on a card all before he got home.
Hmmm....didn't exactly happen.
In the morning I did get in my workout and wrote a paragraph on my paper...but I *had* to finish watching the episode of 'What not to wear' that was on (and I had already seen it!) so there an hour slipped away. After a quick lunch of leftover lasagna and some playtime on the floor with Kellan I tried my hand at making from scrath a baked cheesecake. I searched online for a good recipe (which I didn't really even follow) and it turned out pretty good (but it could have cooked a few minutes longer). By this time it was 3:30 - not sure where the time went - but the house was a mess and I hadn't had a shower yet. I quickly jumped in the shower and thought I would madly clean for an hour, throw in a load of laundry, do my hair then Brian should be home. Well, Kellan (who RARELY is grumpy) decided it was a good time to have a tummy ache and only wanted to be held. So after about 1/2 hr of a few burps and spitups he was content. By this time it was 4:30 and the kitchen still a disaster and hair not done (at least I got my makeup on!). I quickly threw all the dishes in the dishwasher and was just to put Kellan to bed when Brian got home - early! So, here I am in my housecoat (since my clothes were still in the dryer), with wet hair and a still messy kitchen.
My dream & intentions of a welcoming clean kitchen with supper aromas filling the air, me dressed up a bit with my hair curled and with a little extra makeup on and a sleeping content little baby when Brian got home was gone. Here I am looking like a frazzled mom who has 'let herself go' with no evidence of any thought or effort in cleaning or cooking - let alone having any plans of doing something romantic for our anniversary.
Brian gave me a hug and jokingly said "you are still in your robe". I started my list of excuses and by the look on his face I knew he understood. He gave me a kiss and said "Happy Anniversary". We then proceeded to clean the kitchen together and while I fed Kellan he made our anniversary supper and took a shower. Finally my clothes were dry, I quickly curled my hair, got Kellan to sleep and we sat down to our yummy supper of brown sugar glazed salmon, asparagus and rice.
We took our plates of dessert, went and curled up on the couch and watched an episode of LOST. Then we both rummaged through the gift wrapping drawer to find cards and bags for our gifts, quickly 'threw' our gifts together then exchanged them....
It didn't turned out as I had planned. I didn't get the paque for "the #1 Has it all together wife", but in the end we enjoyed each others company and laughed at ourselves. We are the farthest thing from being romantic but we did it our own way. In the end it couldn't have turned out any better. We celebrated life & love, and the past BEST 5 years of my/our life!
I had saved the top peice of our wedding cake in the freezer. We ate a peice on our 1st anniversary and I pulled it out again last night. We did a gaginly romantic 're-cutting of the cake' then ate some. Not too bad for 5 year old freezer burnt cake! 

(note my new watch! - my awesome anniversary gift from B!)So, it didn't make the top romantic dates list, but our 5th anniversary was great!
4 comments:
Awwwwwww!! You guys are WAY more romantic than us! That sounds like a great anniversary.
The reality of life as a mom is that things rarely go 'as planned' and you just have to do with the way things are :) Sounds like you guys had a great evening together, even though it wasn't what you had aspired for.
i'm so surprised you still have your cake! we took ours out on our first anniversary and ate it all (in a few sittings, of course)!
Happy Anniversary again ;)
I never even got to taste one bite of my own wedding cake. haa! Sounds like a terrific date night!-j
How perfect is this!!!! I love how you guys spent your anniversary. All that matters is that you are surrounded by what got you through those years. Seeing you guys so happy and eating that yummy cake brings pure happiness to me. Here's to more Anniversaries!
Post a Comment