I've been looking at book reviews and find those frustrating as well. There really isn't a book that gives '5/5 stars' (which would make things so much easier). But as I've been reading through all of the positive and negative views, I'm finding the ones I agree with and the ones I don't.
As I said in my last post, I want to be somewhat prepared for each stage of life my kids enter into. And since I have a little bit of free time on my hand I thought I should add in a bit of reading. I've ordered the BabyWise II book for the more 'practical' (?) things like potty training, eating, etc. And I've also ordered the book 'Grace-based parenting' by Tim Kimmel and deciding between one (or two) of ones written by Dr.J.Dobson.
It's an exciting (and scary!) thought process, but I'm learning more and more about myself in that I crave learning and am up for new things. Parenting is obviously new to me, and something I will be doing for many more years. What better thing to learn about I figure.
I like to see parenting as my new full-time job and it is my duty to learn as much as I can about raising these little ones and to do the best job I can (with God's help of course).
I LOVE my new job by the way!
5 comments:
Good for you - I read a lot about parenting in the early years too. Just remember that each child and circumstances are different, and in some ways you are only ready for the "next stage" when you get there!
I attended Tim Kimmel's sessions at Break Forth this year. His "Grace-Based Parenting" series is amazing, and hearing him explain some of the principles just made it seem that much more real and do-able.
With every teacher/author/expert, you may have to take some things with a grain of salt. For example, Dr. Kevin Leman is also excellent, but I'm not sure I really agree with some of the practical ways he does/did things. I also saw him at a conference once, and while I liked a lot of the things he had to say, I didn't really like HIM a whole lot. Go figure.
Pray over everything you read. You're doing an awesome job, Jen!!
Cute pic of Kellan by the way!
j - i totally remember doing the same thing as you... As a matter of fact, just last year, i purged all those parenting books from my bookshelf... Not that i've arrived, or know how to do it all (not even CLOSE) - but i've found my own challenges with each child & met them in their own unique way. It's amazing how much your husband affects your parenting too! i would do things SO differently if it were just me & not us *both* sharing this job.
bla bla bla... not really saying much in this comment! tee hee.
Well done! I admire your thoughtfulness and concern over parenting well. It's a big job, and it certainly shows how much you love your calling.
Keep up the posts. I love seeing pics of your adorable son, and your whole fam! :-)
Yes, the whole parenting 'thing' can be overwhelming, but knowing you and brian, i know you'll be good parents to your kids. but that said, i too, want to prepare myself for the journey ahead by reading books. I like Dr. Kevin Leman too, have enjoyed the Baby Whisperer (she talks about kids personalities/temperaments and how to work with them a bit), and am also interested in reading the Five Love Languages for kids by Gary Chapman.
But there will be no 5/5* book - no one has parenting perfected! We just have to glean wisdom from others, do what we feel is right for us and our kids, and then surrender it all to God! :)
love the pic of kellan :)
Post a Comment