October 24, 2009

Halloween

We were driving back home tonight and as we were pulling into town I saw some houses with lights up. Nope they weren't Christmas lights - they were Halloween lights.
Ugh!
The stores too are packed full of expensive candy and cheap looking costumes.
We've been back and forth about letting Kellan/our kids participate in the 'harmless' cute costumes and candy. But we've decided to say 'no' and just not let those so called harmless things be an open door for the devil.
We're not sure what we will do when our kids are school-aged - maybe a fun trip to the waterslides or something - but for now it's pretty easy just to turn off all the lights and watch tv in our basement.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Good for you, Jen... that's what we tend to do, too.

We are getting costumes for our kids this year, but mostly because they LOVE to play dress-up on a regular basis. This is the perfect time of year to stock up... especially in the last week before Halloween and everything goes on sale. We do stay away from the evil stuff, though... ghosts, skeletons, witches, axe murderers, and the like.

We will likely let them dress up on the evening 'of', but we don't trick or treat or anything like that. Not only is it an open door, potentially, but when they are out and about, think of all that they will SEE that could seep into their poor little heads...

I'm proud of you!! Good decisions!
M.

kelly ens said...

we're with you both (Jen & Melissa).

i've put Taeya in borrowed costumes each year for playgroup, but have never taken her trick or treating. we have no plans to do that this year either (and probably won't even have a costume). i've never handed candy out because i've always been home alone those evenings with little kids and just never felt confident doing that. plus, i don't need the kids to see those things coming to our door!

SO, we are buying the new Tinkerbell movie, will buy some treats, turn out the lights and have a little family night :)

but melissa, i like your idea of stocking up on dress up items when they all go on sale :)

Lori-Dawn said...

I'm right there with you. I don't even take the kids shopping from Sept until after Christmas...not a fan of santa either...lol
but I LOVE stocking up on fun costumes right after halloween!! Value village usually has awesome sales and cool ones to choose from! Gotta keep that "tickle trunk" well supplied!!!

paige said...

i don't even like the church events. Lame-o. We go out for chinese food & teach our kids about reformation day! (The chinese was Neil's family tradition that we borrowed & the reformation has been our own fun addition). We do buy candy to hand out... we've gone back & forth on that one... we're out most of the night anyway - but i hate if our little friends come to our door & we've got nothing to hand out. :)

Carol said...

We went through a stage where we went bowling with friends...but I never felt quite "right" having my house in darkness and not having some candy for the little neighbours on our street. Our kids are past dressing up now, but I enjoy seeing the children that come to our door and having an opportunity to give them a friendly greeting. I felt somehow that when we weren't participating that we were sending the message that we were "holier than thou". These neighbours all know that we are active in our church. Just how I felt, but also understand how you are all thinking - I am also not a big fan of Hallowe'en.