November 27, 2009

An empty stocking

My house is decorated for Christmas and I'm getting excited to start the festivities and watch Kellan take it all in. Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow - has a new meaning for us this year and it's good.
I haven't hung the stockings up yet. I'm a bit hesitant because I know one of them will be empty. I feel like I need to fill it up to validate his life.
I know that sounds silly and his life was/is real and I don't need to do those things to prove I have another son. But I guess I just don't want his memory to fade and I don't want to let go of those little things that I can do for him as his momma.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Do it, Jen. He is absolutely part of your life, and Kellan's life - Brennan's stocking will make him more "real" to Kellan as the years go by. Just my take. Even if you guys can start a tradition with something you can put in his stocking every year, that will impact someone else - maybe a letter to your sponsored child, a little package of stickers, something mailable... does that make sense?

*hugs*
Melissa

paige said...

yes. i agree - & it's a part of the "teaching" that you will do with kellan too... about eternal things. Even though Kellan is still so wee to comprehend that extra stocking this year, it becomes habit & a part of what makes his family special & different... i'd put Brian's teddy bear in it :)
*or*
you could put something in it for your family - a cd - a story book - advent scripture, or candy - things that point to heaven :)