November 01, 2009

What do I do?

Do you ever feel that the Christian life is overwhelming?
Stupid question right? - I'm sure we all feel that way now and then....sometimes daily.
Issues of discussion & areas in our life in need of change pull us in all directions and it's so hard to decide what to work on first or where to put our time and energy.
I open the bible and there is a never ending list of qualities that I know I need to work on. But where to begin?
Organizations and missions that need support. Who do we give money too? And how do we pray for all of them? Can we just say "Dear God, please bless all the missionaries..."? Does that work? How come little kids can get away with those prayers ;)
And out of all the issues that we face, which ones should come up and be discussed in our home? Do we go 'hardcore' on a few or just little thoughts and ideas here and there and try to touch a bunch of them?
Sometimes it's just easier to shut our bible and say "it's too hard". Why bother working on an area of my life that I will slip-up in tomorrow or when another one will pop up when I thought I could take a break from bettering myself.
Why does it hurt so? I like shutting myself out from the world and just be oblivious to people and things around me. That way I won't do or say something wrong and I can be nieve to the hurts and pains of this world.
Unfortunately God doesn't let me and he tugs at my heart once again and gently (or not so gently) reveals a quality I need to work on or something or someone I need to put my attention on.
And as painful as it is or as mad as I get at Him for reminding me of my un-(list any quality here), I thank Him for not giving up on me and know it's for my own good.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Jen - your thoughts today are not unlike the sermon we heard today.... lots of soul-searching going on here, too!!

Blessings on you, dear lady, as you go through these coming days... that you would passionately pursue what our Creator has for you.

kelly ens said...

i hear ya!!!! one thing at a time, one day at a time. the proverbs 31 woman ALWAYS gets me...

paige said...

i LOVE this - it so meets me where i am, j.

Lori-Dawn said...

what Paige said...just reading your words has me in tears because apparently this is how I've been feeling a lot lately...your words struck very deep today. And while I feel like a ship lost in a storm, I KNOW I have to suck it up and at least *try*....

Lisa said...

I love this post. I think most christians feel this way. Give it all to God, and watch how He decides what you need to do! And listen for that small voice. Sometimes I think we pray too much and ask too much when we really should just be 'in relationship' with Him. God knows our needs, and He knows the needs of others. And like Paige says... God meets us where we are :) Thankfully! haha

Marion said...

Jen, the beautiful thing about being a Christian is that we can REST in Him. Just listen, and be open. The fact that you're struggling shows that you have a willing heart - that's all He asks!