May 29, 2010

Unexpectedly Productive

Y'know those jobs that you have on the 'to do' list that seem too big to tackle and you wonder if they will ever get done? Or those 'maybe someday' jobs that aren't necessary but hopefully maybe eventually they will get done?
Ya, we conquered some of those today!
We were planning on staining fence boards and digging fence holes (which also would have been really productive) but it rained/mostly snowed ALL DAY. So, it turned into a 'inside' day today.
When we first moved in and painted, there was a mix-up in paints so our main floor bathroom got regular paint - not the 'kitchen & bath' stuff. And because we don't have a fan in there, the moisture quickly began eating away at the ceiling and walls leaving cracks and peeling paint. A big mess really.
So, Brian started scraping, sanding and crack filling this morning while I ran to the store and got the right paint. I also picked up a can of dark purple for our bedroom :)

Kellan was a real trooper today. We often had to barricade him or even shut him out of the rooms while we worked. He happily played by himself and didn't get too upset being left out of the action. Inbetween coats and waiting for putty to dry we tried to give him lots of attention so he wouldn't feel completely ignored.

Looong story short we now have smooth ceilings and walls in our bathroom and a beautiful new feature wall in our bedroom.
I originally wanted med. grey walls to go with the purple but the taupe walls matched the purple really well so we saved a ton of time and a can of paint. We used to have the bed against the feature wall (which looked better) but found that this layout gave us more room and just worked better. So instead of painting the old red wall taupe and the other wall purple we just left the feature wall where it was. (I'm blabbing I know...)

I stole the picture from our spare room to 'finish' the room just for picture purposes but hope to find something else whenever our next city trip happens.

We still have one more coat to go on the bathroom, and it should be dry by now so one last big effort before we crash into bed.

5 comments:

Jen said...

That looks awesome! I love the purple!

kelly ens said...

the purple looks fantastic!!!!!

Mrs Manz said...

I agree - the purple is so much more calming. It invites sleep! :)(and it's pretty similar to the colour we did Peyton's room in - so the sleep-thing was my goal... chuckle)

Leah said...

The dark purple looks fabulous, Jen! Nice colour choice!


I don't have a fan in my bathroom either, and the moisture is a pain and also a concern. For now I just open the window for awhile after a shower, but I'll probably have to get a fan installed before too long.

Melissa said...

Wow - I love that purple. I'm not sure why I didn't see this post before... but that purple is amazing.

I doubt Graeme would ever go for something like that.... but it's gorgeous.